PLACES OF WORSHIP IN TALLEY PARISH
There is a record of several chapels that once were situated in the parish of Talley, but which, in 1754, were said to be ‘ruinated’: They are Crist, Mihangel, Llanceinwyryf, Mair, Teilo, Holy Trinity and Cyrhwm.
Capel Crist. ‘Christ’s Chapel graveyard.’ The location of this chapel was by the field called ‘Mynwent Capel Crist’ next to the Edwinsford Arms, north of the B4302, and is marked on the Ordnance Survey 1:2500, second edition of 1906. An adjacent well also bore the name of the chapel, though the site is unknown. The dedication for the chapel is given as Mary or Mair by Samuel Lewis, writing in 1833 when the piece of land was known locally as ‘Mynwent Capel Mair’ but succeeding authors have termed it Capel Crist including Rees, 1932. The site has now been built over.
Capel Mihangel. ‘St Michael’s Chapel’ or Bank Lanfihangel. This grange chapel stood near Ty Hywell farmstead, about one mile south of the abbey. Some years ago, a ‘fragment of the stonework of a two-light window, of late 15th century character’ was unearthed in the chapel field.
Capel Llanceinwyryf. ‘The Chapel of Cain Virgin.’ The site of this chapel is uncertain, but is believed to have been in a field on Dan y Capel farm, where stone foundations are occasionally unearthed during ploughing.
Capel Mair. This chapel was probably situated in the parish of Llanfihangel Rhoycon about five miles west of the abbey, where there is still a farm called ‘Glan Capel Mair’. Capel Teilo was believed to have been situated on the farm of ‘Brondilo’ in the north of the parish.
Holy Trinity and Cyrhwm. It is not known where ‘Holy Trinity’ or ‘Cyrhwm’ were situated.